In time of catastrophe or calamity, the primary need is for the shelter, but even when there is shelter the life expectancy cannot be increased unless there are adequate items to ensure the survival of life. And just as everyone has the right to adequate housing, similarly everyone has the right to those elements that ensure the survival and life of the victims. These cluster elements can be used for the displaced as well as to the vulnerable group from those of the life-threatening elements. These ensure the improvement in living conditions as well as they facilitate the durability of life.
Here are some of the important and basic non-food items that should be delivered to the affected area along with emergency shelter:
- Mattress – at least 1 per person
- Blankets – at minimum 1 per person
- Kitchen sets – 1 per family
- Jerry cans – having capacity of 10 Liters and it should be 3 per family.
- Soap bars – 1 per person for every month
- Washing powder – for at least 0.25kg per person/month
- Stoves – 1 per family
- Plastic Sheets – 2 per family
- Sanitary napkins – 1 pc per woman, 14-45 years per month.
These non-food items along with the emergency shelters are provided in cluster for the settlement of the affected individuals. There is a specific cluster response strategy that should be followed in three steps so that all the needs of the individuals should be properly addressed.
- Emergency Response – It allows for the analysis of the capacity of the present aid as well as the need of the affected individuals can be analyzed, so that the transparent and accountable displacement of items can be done.
- Transitional shelter – It allows for the settlements of the internally displaced people and the relocation to those individuals in a comparatively saver area.
- Support and durability – the survey should be conducted and the supportive needs should be provided as per the need of the people of that area. Also the voluntary needs should be provided to as much extent as possible so that the proper protection of life can take place.
These NFIs are distributed as per the need of the affected individuals or the community, so that the sustenance and the survival of life can be ensured for as long as the resettlement can be done.